Sunday, December 2, 2012

Estimating Costs and Allocating Resources



This week’s course focus is on budgeting; specifically, estimating costs and allocating resources as it relates to project management. This has been one of the most difficult aspects for me to tackle, because I haven’t had any prior experience in project management. The only budgeting experience I have is in my personal life.  However, once again the internet comes to the rescue, with a wide range of resources that are helpful in estimating cost, effort, and time involved in various instructional design projects.  Here are two of the most helpful resources I came across:


Dr. Karl Kapp and Robyn A Defelice published an article on estimating time for ID projects. The authors conducted a survey of ID professionals, and compiled the results in a table that gives low and high estimates for the time needed to develop one hour of instruction with several variables. The study was repeated in 2009, and the above link contains results from both surveys.  I also found this article useful because the authors discuss in detail some of the factors that affect development time.


The e-Learning Guild conducted a time ratio survey in 2002, and the above link is a compilation of the results. While my first thought is that the estimates are outdated, I actually found similarities between this study and the one conducted by Kapp and Defelice. I thought this resource was particularly useful because rather than estimating by the hour, it focuses on per-minute student learning objects. My course project focuses on small digital learning objects, so the per-hour estimates were proving to be difficult for me to use when working on my project.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen

    I believe we know how to estimate our paychecks from week to week and resource allocation and cost estimates are not that far removed from what we do all the time as we budget our household income against expenses. I am also doing my course project on small learning objects for primary learners—Case Study # 1. I love analyzing all the variables that make up that case study. I love exotic places and have learned lots about Australia. I would love to visit there because of this project.

    ReplyDelete