Sunday, October 9, 2011

Connections facilitate learning

The first question we were asked to reflect upon this week was “How has your network changed the way you learn?” I feel like I’ve always had a “network” of sorts – I first began using the internet as a middle school student, so using a wide range of electronic tools has been a part of my education for a very long time. I remember having an encyclopedia on cd-rom, I have used Google since its early days, and I’ve been using the Internet to socialize with friends since I was 13. Therefore, I don’t think I can say that a learning network has ever changed my learning – it’s an integral part of the way I have always learned.

Next, I reflected upon the use of digital “tools” and the process by which I gain new knowledge. I use technology extensively for work, school, and my home life. I think that the best tool for learning, for me, is just the sheer expansiveness of what’s available on the internet. Anytime I’m interested in a topic or need a piece of information, I look to the Internet first – using the computer or my smartphone, or even my Kindle. When I need information at work, I first consult the “Virtual Library” (a collection of tutorials and information about a variety of topics), and then the “Professional Learning Community” (where I can find information about best practices for teaching in an online environment, tools and resources I can use in my teaching, etc). If those resources don’t answer my question, then I turn to the “human network” of teachers with whom I work. If I need quick information at home, I often turn to my smartphone for help – it’s easy and convenient to look up a recipe, find directions, or check my bank balance. One aspect of my “network” that I found surprising was the amount of learning I absorb from social networking sites. By reading the posts of friends just today, I learned interesting information about politics, food, and education.

Davis, Edmunds, and Kelly-Bateman (2008) outline the basic tenets of connectivism:
“Learning and knowledge rest in diversity of opinions.
Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources.
Learning may reside in non-human appliances.
Capacity to know more is more critical than what is currently known.
Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning.
Ability to see connections between fields, ideas, and concepts is a core skill.
Currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities.”

I definitely believe that my own learning network supports these principles. As I look back at my learning activity over just the past week, the one tenet that really stands out to me is the very first one: “Learning and knowledge rest in diversity of opinions.” I find this diversity of opinions in many aspects of my life, especially among my colleagues and my Facebook friends. The ability to discuss varying viewpoints through electronic or in-person means is an important part of the way I gain knowledge.



Sources:

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved fromhttp://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism

No comments:

Post a Comment